Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple way of modelling 2D truss and beam problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
i guess this is an easy question. Im looking for a quick way to model simple problems in structural mechanics in which i want to connect 1D beams using hinged or prismatic joints and so on.
I know there is the beam-module but i can only connect the beams there using fixed connections since i dont find any joints... And i know there are several types of joints in the Multibody Dynamics module, but its not possible to use these with points?
Can someone push me in the right direction?
Is there a tutorial for this kind of problems?
Thanks in advance!

7 Replies Last Post 12 nov. 2015, 09:57 UTC−5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 6 nov. 2015, 10:00 UTC−5
Hi,

Here is how to do it:

1. Model the two points where you want the hinge to connect slightly apart from each other, so that the beams will be disconnected at that location.

2. Add one Attachment to each of the two points (found under Connections).

3. Add a Multibody Dynamics interface and select the appropriate joint type. In the settings for the joint, pick up the two attachments.

4. Add more settings to the joint e.g. the location of the center of the hinge.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Here is how to do it: 1. Model the two points where you want the hinge to connect slightly apart from each other, so that the beams will be disconnected at that location. 2. Add one Attachment to each of the two points (found under Connections). 3. Add a Multibody Dynamics interface and select the appropriate joint type. In the settings for the joint, pick up the two attachments. 4. Add more settings to the joint e.g. the location of the center of the hinge. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 9 nov. 2015, 06:20 UTC−5
It does work as intended.
Thanks alot!
It does work as intended. Thanks alot!

Posted: 9 years ago 10 nov. 2015, 09:00 UTC−5
hi, I want to do the same with stationary study, and I cant do it. Any idea?
hi, I want to do the same with stationary study, and I cant do it. Any idea?

Posted: 9 years ago 10 nov. 2015, 12:08 UTC−5
Hi,

This approach is independent of study type.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, This approach is independent of study type. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 11 nov. 2015, 15:17 UTC−5
Thankyou for your answer, but in solid mechanics, I cant find the option attachment and the hing connection
Thankyou for your answer, but in solid mechanics, I cant find the option attachment and the hing connection

Posted: 9 years ago 12 nov. 2015, 05:49 UTC−5
Hi,

If you have a license for the Multibody Dynamics Module, then the approach is the same when using Solid Mechanics.

If not, you can use the method shown in the model "Assembly with a Hinge" (in the Connections and Mechanisms folder under Structural Mechanics). You can also find this model in

www.comsol.com/model/assembly-with-a-hinge-10569

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, If you have a license for the Multibody Dynamics Module, then the approach is the same when using Solid Mechanics. If not, you can use the method shown in the model "Assembly with a Hinge" (in the Connections and Mechanisms folder under Structural Mechanics). You can also find this model in http://www.comsol.com/model/assembly-with-a-hinge-10569 Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 12 nov. 2015, 09:57 UTC−5
Ive just realized that my software is damaged, im reinstalling again, for this reason I couldnt find the option multibody dynamics, thanks for your help
Ive just realized that my software is damaged, im reinstalling again, for this reason I couldnt find the option multibody dynamics, thanks for your help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.