Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

unstructured and structured mesh in comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear friends

which kind of mesh could lead better results?

someone said that unstructured mesh is better in comsol, which is different from FLUENT or some other software.

If this concept is correct, why?

1 Reply Last Post 30 août 2015, 11:23 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 30 août 2015, 11:23 UTC−4
Hi

I do not believe there one is better than the other, it all depends on what you are modelling.

COMSOL used discretization polynomials on-top of the standard elements, therefore tetrahedral elements work "better" here, than in older FEM codes, with other underlying hypothesis. COMSOL has put meshing and the elements where they should be: a mathematical discretization of the geometrical space, such to resolve correctly the dependent variables and their variations of the differential equations you want to solve.

If you are a beginner (with COSMOL) use the default mesh settings, once you master them, play with the density: normal, fine, finer ... and check what is going on: are your results "better" ( 1) be sure you know what is "better" and 2) these effects will be different for each of your models), you need to learn why, be curious, try out "toy-models" to understand the relation to mesh density, discretization order and coherence of the results, all depending on the type of equations you solve: Poisson, diffusion, wave, NS ...

I use generally structured meshes for very anisotropic shaped geometries, and when the dependent variables do not change much (small gradients) with respect to the "thin" thickness dimension, and also often for 2-3D problems with 1-2D-Axi-symetric geometry and BC conditions, as here mostly the "phi" variation of your dependent variables are small and you are less disturbed by the radial dependence on the mesh size change, layer by layer, i.e. on axis lens and mirror opto-mechanics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not believe there one is better than the other, it all depends on what you are modelling. COMSOL used discretization polynomials on-top of the standard elements, therefore tetrahedral elements work "better" here, than in older FEM codes, with other underlying hypothesis. COMSOL has put meshing and the elements where they should be: a mathematical discretization of the geometrical space, such to resolve correctly the dependent variables and their variations of the differential equations you want to solve. If you are a beginner (with COSMOL) use the default mesh settings, once you master them, play with the density: normal, fine, finer ... and check what is going on: are your results "better" ( 1) be sure you know what is "better" and 2) these effects will be different for each of your models), you need to learn why, be curious, try out "toy-models" to understand the relation to mesh density, discretization order and coherence of the results, all depending on the type of equations you solve: Poisson, diffusion, wave, NS ... I use generally structured meshes for very anisotropic shaped geometries, and when the dependent variables do not change much (small gradients) with respect to the "thin" thickness dimension, and also often for 2-3D problems with 1-2D-Axi-symetric geometry and BC conditions, as here mostly the "phi" variation of your dependent variables are small and you are less disturbed by the radial dependence on the mesh size change, layer by layer, i.e. on axis lens and mirror opto-mechanics -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.