Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Damped Eigen frequency Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hei,

I am working on calculating Q factor from eigenfrequecny analysis using structural mechanics. I know that Q factor= abs(imag)/2*abs(real) but my problem is when I add damping in the form of isotropic loss factor, it would increase the real part too (which is frequency of the system) that should decrease with the increase in damping. Since both the real and imaginary part are increasing simultaneously, there is a little difference in the values of Q factor with or without damping.
I know that adding damping to eigenfrequency gives imaginary frequencies, but I am not sure how to deal with it.
Please give me some suggestions on how to proceed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Saleha

1 Reply Last Post 22 mars 2017, 03:04 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Saleha Quadssia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 22 mars 2017, 03:04 UTC−4

Hei,

I am working on calculating Q factor from eigenfrequecny analysis using structural mechanics. I know that Q factor= abs(imag)/2*abs(real) but my problem is when I add damping in the form of isotropic loss factor, it would increase the real part too (which is frequency of the system) that should decrease with the increase in damping. Since both the real and imaginary part are increasing simultaneously, there is a little difference in the values of Q factor with or without damping.
I know that adding damping to eigenfrequency gives imaginary frequencies, but I am not sure how to deal with it.
Please give me some suggestions on how to proceed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Saleha

Hi, Saleha
Have u tried the frequency domain? U can use it to verify the eigenfrequency result.
I have also confused about the damping set in the COMSOL. I used the Rayleigh damping factor to add the damping to the model, but the frequency sweeping result showed that at the eigenfrequency the amplitude is zero which is obviously wrong. I think the damping factor I give is wrong? I'd appreciate it if u can give me any advice.
Regards,
Yupeng.
[QUOTE] Hei, I am working on calculating Q factor from eigenfrequecny analysis using structural mechanics. I know that Q factor= abs(imag)/2*abs(real) but my problem is when I add damping in the form of isotropic loss factor, it would increase the real part too (which is frequency of the system) that should decrease with the increase in damping. Since both the real and imaginary part are increasing simultaneously, there is a little difference in the values of Q factor with or without damping. I know that adding damping to eigenfrequency gives imaginary frequencies, but I am not sure how to deal with it. Please give me some suggestions on how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. Regards, Saleha [/QUOTE] Hi, Saleha Have u tried the frequency domain? U can use it to verify the eigenfrequency result. I have also confused about the damping set in the COMSOL. I used the Rayleigh damping factor to add the damping to the model, but the frequency sweeping result showed that at the eigenfrequency the amplitude is zero which is obviously wrong. I think the damping factor I give is wrong? I'd appreciate it if u can give me any advice. Regards, Yupeng.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.