Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

band gap phononic crystal help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am new to Comsol and trying to calculate simple 2D, band gap but I am lost. Any instructions or tutorials please.

Thank you.

5 Replies Last Post 25 janv. 2016, 12:47 UTC−5

Posted: 10 years ago 23 déc. 2014, 00:44 UTC−5
You might start with the photonic band gap example in wave optics module. Settings of these two simulations are quite the same.
You might start with the photonic band gap example in wave optics module. Settings of these two simulations are quite the same.

Posted: 9 years ago 10 juin 2015, 17:45 UTC−4
thanks for your suggestion, but I am using comsol 4.4 and I do not have wave optics module, and I am lost while trying to modify the photonic crystal example.

But I have done some thing like following (2D square Lattice, solid cylinder in solid matrix),but I did not get the z-mode (longitudinal mode), just the transverse mode only:

1. used acoustic-structure interaction, elastic wave (elw) module
2. chose both domain linear elastic material.
3. Floquet periodicity (1,4) and (2,3) boundaries.
4. took the parametric sweep for kx = 0 to pi/a
5. finally got kx vs freq (derived values > global evaluation),

but this kx vs freq gave me just transverse modes only, longitudinal mode missing. I am lost. Please suggest me how to get longitudinal modes.
Also I am having problem with liquid matrix with solid scatterer.

Thank You.
thanks for your suggestion, but I am using comsol 4.4 and I do not have wave optics module, and I am lost while trying to modify the photonic crystal example. But I have done some thing like following (2D square Lattice, solid cylinder in solid matrix),but I did not get the z-mode (longitudinal mode), just the transverse mode only: 1. used acoustic-structure interaction, elastic wave (elw) module 2. chose both domain linear elastic material. 3. Floquet periodicity (1,4) and (2,3) boundaries. 4. took the parametric sweep for kx = 0 to pi/a 5. finally got kx vs freq (derived values > global evaluation), but this kx vs freq gave me just transverse modes only, longitudinal mode missing. I am lost. Please suggest me how to get longitudinal modes. Also I am having problem with liquid matrix with solid scatterer. Thank You.

Posted: 9 years ago 23 juin 2015, 20:54 UTC−4

But I have done some thing like following (2D square Lattice, solid cylinder in solid matrix),but I did not get the z-mode (longitudinal mode), just the transverse mode only:

but this kx vs freq gave me just transverse modes only, longitudinal mode missing. I am lost. Please suggest me how to get longitudinal modes.
Also I am having problem with liquid matrix with solid scatterer.

Thank You.

Hi Ukesh,

As far as I know, elastic waves include one longitudinal and one transverse waves while z-mode is referred as another transverse wave. I have problems with simulation of z-mode too. I have tried to ask help from COMSOL technique support. Unfortunately, they said currently it's very difficult to simulate z-mode in COMSOL.

As for the liquid-solid case simulation, I think you may try the Pressure Acoustic module since transverse waves can not propagate in liquid or air while PA module deals with longitudinal wave like sound wave.

Best,
[QUOTE] But I have done some thing like following (2D square Lattice, solid cylinder in solid matrix),but I did not get the z-mode (longitudinal mode), just the transverse mode only: but this kx vs freq gave me just transverse modes only, longitudinal mode missing. I am lost. Please suggest me how to get longitudinal modes. Also I am having problem with liquid matrix with solid scatterer. Thank You. [/QUOTE] Hi Ukesh, As far as I know, elastic waves include one longitudinal and one transverse waves while z-mode is referred as another transverse wave. I have problems with simulation of z-mode too. I have tried to ask help from COMSOL technique support. Unfortunately, they said currently it's very difficult to simulate z-mode in COMSOL. As for the liquid-solid case simulation, I think you may try the Pressure Acoustic module since transverse waves can not propagate in liquid or air while PA module deals with longitudinal wave like sound wave. Best,

Posted: 9 years ago 24 juin 2015, 14:45 UTC−4
Hi Yangfan,

Thank You very much for your response. I have tried "Pressure acoustic module" for 2D square water matrix and copper cylinder. I chose pressure acoustics for water domain, and then have to choose linear elastic material for copper, COMSOL makes the BC on the boundary between the copper-water as "Sound Hard Boundary". By doing so I got eigenfrequencies but some of the values are "NaN". I plot the band structure but not sure whether it is right or wrong.

Moreover, I have tried "Acoustic-structure Interaction module", Water = pressure acoustic; Copper = linear elastic material; BC on the boundary of the copper-water = Acoustic-structure boundary. Here too, I got some NaN values for eigenfrequencies, I still got the plot.

There is slight difference between above two band structure plots, I think this is due to the different BC used between copper and water matrix. Not sure I am in the right direction or not. Please correct me if I am doing anything wrong.

Thank you,

Ukesh
Hi Yangfan, Thank You very much for your response. I have tried "Pressure acoustic module" for 2D square water matrix and copper cylinder. I chose pressure acoustics for water domain, and then have to choose linear elastic material for copper, COMSOL makes the BC on the boundary between the copper-water as "Sound Hard Boundary". By doing so I got eigenfrequencies but some of the values are "NaN". I plot the band structure but not sure whether it is right or wrong. Moreover, I have tried "Acoustic-structure Interaction module", Water = pressure acoustic; Copper = linear elastic material; BC on the boundary of the copper-water = Acoustic-structure boundary. Here too, I got some NaN values for eigenfrequencies, I still got the plot. There is slight difference between above two band structure plots, I think this is due to the different BC used between copper and water matrix. Not sure I am in the right direction or not. Please correct me if I am doing anything wrong. Thank you, Ukesh

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago 25 janv. 2016, 12:47 UTC−5
I uploaded a COMSOL file to the Model Exchange that shows how to set up a phononic band gap eigenfrequency analysis. Here is the link: www.comsol.com/community/exchange/432/.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
I uploaded a COMSOL file to the Model Exchange that shows how to set up a phononic band gap eigenfrequency analysis. Here is the link: http://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/432/. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.