Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How is a heat source handled with symmetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have an array of 10x10 heat source. I am producing a symmetric model with only half the sources being represented. The total power of all (10x10) the sources needs to be 500W. For this, do I impose a 250W boundary condition for the 5x10 array, or do they get 500W?

Another way of asking, if i have a symmetry model and I impose 250W BC, does an additional 250W get mirrored resulting in 500W?

3 Replies Last Post 3 nov. 2014, 18:32 UTC−5
Andrew Prudil Nuclear Materials

Posted: 10 years ago 3 nov. 2014, 12:34 UTC−5
You only include the heat sources in the actual volume you are modeling. That means that if you exploit symmetry to model only half the object (the other half using using symmetry) you end up only including half the total power.
You only include the heat sources in the actual volume you are modeling. That means that if you exploit symmetry to model only half the object (the other half using using symmetry) you end up only including half the total power.

Posted: 10 years ago 3 nov. 2014, 13:26 UTC−5
Okay, so if I understand correctly. If i have a half model and I set the power in to be 250W, regardless of whether or not I put the symmetry heat transfer boundary condition, the mirrored 3D model only shows 250W and double the heat sources?

Further, I set a component in the solution as the heat source themselves, then i mirrored it and then I solved for total power in (W/m3) for the mirrored 3D data set and it gave me 500W for 100 sources. This is with the half model heat source B.C. as 250W. Am I missing something, as this contradicts what I am understanding from your explanation? (I am not saying you are wrong btw. I just dont understand).
Okay, so if I understand correctly. If i have a half model and I set the power in to be 250W, regardless of whether or not I put the symmetry heat transfer boundary condition, the mirrored 3D model only shows 250W and double the heat sources? Further, I set a component in the solution as the heat source themselves, then i mirrored it and then I solved for total power in (W/m3) for the mirrored 3D data set and it gave me 500W for 100 sources. This is with the half model heat source B.C. as 250W. Am I missing something, as this contradicts what I am understanding from your explanation? (I am not saying you are wrong btw. I just dont understand).

Posted: 10 years ago 3 nov. 2014, 18:32 UTC−5
Sorry, I can be dense. I understand your explanation now. Thank you very much.
Sorry, I can be dense. I understand your explanation now. Thank you very much.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.