Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

frequency domain using reduced basis (modal)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a frequency sweep on a (big) model of an acoustic cavity, with specified surface impedance as boundary conditions.
If I use the "Frequency domain" study, everything goes well, except that it is really, really slow.
Considering that 1) few eigenmodes participate to the vibrations at these frequencies (20-200Hz), that 2) I would like to have a good frequency resolution in my sweep, and 3) I need to test a lot of combinations of parameters for the boundary conditions, I figured that using the "Modal frequency domain" study type is perfect for me.

However, it does not seem to work : I always get a null solution, for all frequencies, when I use this type of study.
The predefined study contains two step : one for finding the eigenfrequencies and eigenmodes, and the second to use these modes as a reduced basis for the frequency sweep. The first step seems to work well (I can visualize the modes, they seem ok to me), but the second gives mysteriously a null result everytime (without any error message).

If anyone knows that problem and how to overcome it, I'd be really glad to know!

Regards,
Sami

PS : I'm using Comsol 4.3a.
PS2 : I use a point volume flow source, which works as expected with the traditional "frequency domain" study.

4 Replies Last Post 22 nov. 2013, 09:11 UTC−5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 sept. 2013, 06:28 UTC−4
Sami,

in the frequency sweep step you have to excite the model some way. Did you include that?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
Sami, in the frequency sweep step you have to excite the model some way. Did you include that? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 sept. 2013, 09:02 UTC−4
Dear Edgar,

Thanks for your answer.

As I mentioned at the end of my message, yes I excited my model with a point source (volume flow). I think the excitation is not the problem here as the "complete" model does work perfectly.

I attach here a file with a simpler model, where the modal frequency sweep does not work either.

Thanks

Regards,
Sami
Dear Edgar, Thanks for your answer. As I mentioned at the end of my message, yes I excited my model with a point source (volume flow). I think the excitation is not the problem here as the "complete" model does work perfectly. I attach here a file with a simpler model, where the modal frequency sweep does not work either. Thanks Regards, Sami

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 nov. 2013, 15:21 UTC−5
Just in case someone reads this someday : I finally found how to overcome this.

One have to set "Linearity" to "Linear" in the options of the Modal Solver (you have to generate the default solver config first, and then modify it).

It's weird, because it should work as well in the mode "linear perturbation", but somehow it doesn't...

Sami
Just in case someone reads this someday : I finally found how to overcome this. One have to set "Linearity" to "Linear" in the options of the Modal Solver (you have to generate the default solver config first, and then modify it). It's weird, because it should work as well in the mode "linear perturbation", but somehow it doesn't... Sami

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2013, 09:11 UTC−5
See this thread for the detailed answers of Comsol :
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/40810
See this thread for the detailed answers of Comsol : http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/40810

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.