Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Probing max velocity along a line in 2D laminar natural convection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I'm studying natural convection heat transfer inside a 2D horizontal square enclosure. I'd like to perform a grid sensitivity analysis, calculating some global parameters for each of the prescribed levels of refinement. Among them, I'd like to choose the maximum vertical velocity on the horizontal midplane of the enclosure, as well as the maximum horizontal velocity on the vertical midplane of it. Therefore, I need to define these midplanes, which are actually lines in my 2D domain. Since I'm performing the grid sensitivity analysis through a Parametric Sweep study, I'd like to compute the above velocities for each of the parameters combination, and visualize the results in only one table. I know it is possible to define probes before running the simulation, which would be perfect for me, but I can't find a way to define a "line" probe in the middle of my domain.

Is there anyone who knows a way to do it? Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards, Daniele

2 Replies Last Post 2 avr. 2021, 06:42 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 30 mars 2021, 12:48 UTC−4

Daniele,

you can use maximum operators on your lines and define global variable probes using it. It would look like maxop1(T) with maxop1() acting on the line of interest. This is also possible in post processing using a maximum dataset on the line.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Daniele, you can use maximum operators on your lines and define global variable probes using it. It would look like maxop1(T) with maxop1() acting on the line of interest. This is also possible in post processing using a maximum dataset on the line. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 2 avr. 2021, 06:42 UTC−4

Dear Edgar,

thank you so much. I was able to do it in the post-processing, creating a Cut Line dataset, and selecting the parametric sweep solutions for it. Then I created a Line Maximum subnode under the Derived Values node, and selected the above CutLine dataset among the options.

Thank you very much for your hint. Best regards,

Daniele

Dear Edgar, thank you so much. I was able to do it in the post-processing, creating a Cut Line dataset, and selecting the parametric sweep solutions for it. Then I created a Line Maximum subnode under the Derived Values node, and selected the above CutLine dataset among the options. Thank you very much for your hint. Best regards, Daniele

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.