Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

moving hertzian pressure load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to model a hertzian contact modelling problem. In this problem, I would like to change the location/area where I apply the hertzian pressure with a parameter called posX.

In this model, I defined the hertzian contact pressure by using a variable. This variable defines the pressure field that I would like to apply and it is a function of the coordinates of a surface on which I would like to apply the hertzian pressure, like x and y.

I thought of taking the coordinates of the target surface where I would like to apply the Hertzian pressure by using a parametric surface. However, I have difficulty in relating the application of the pressure with this parametric surface and getting the correct pressure applied over this area defined by the parametric surface.

So, I would like to apply a moving hertzian pressure on a parametric surface that changes its location over another larger surface. Parametric surface changes its position dependent on a parameter called posX. As a result of this moving pressure load, I would like to find the displacement at the center of the defined parametric surface by using a probe.

In the attached file, you can investigate what I am trying to perform. As mentioned, I am not able to relate the coordinates of a parametric surface with the correct pressure location and its application on the that parameteric surface. Eventually, I am finding 0 displacements with the attached file. In this file, I just defined two posX parameters and one force/pressure value as an example.

Any help is appreciated on this problem.

Best regards, Umut

1 Reply Last Post 23 mars 2021, 02:58 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 23 mars 2021, 02:58 UTC−4

Here is one example where a moving Hertzian pressure load is used:

https://www.comsol.com/model/rolling-contact-fatigue-in-a-linear-guide-35361

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Here is one example where a moving Hertzian pressure load is used:

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.