Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Square Membrane Eigenfrequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am attempting to simply solve for the first 10 eigenfrequencies of a square Si3N4 membrane. I have two geometries and implemented very similar conditions to a successful simulation I have completed in 3.5, however I get relative error and relative tolerances problems every time I run. I have tried to re-scale my mesh to allow for smoother conversion and less memory use. But I can't seem to solve this issue...

I have attached two files, the second of which is the one I prefer and have used in past versions of COMSOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel

1 Reply Last Post 26 mars 2011, 06:59 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mars 2011, 06:59 UTC−4
Hi

first of all have you checked the influence of the mesh, using mapped/sweep mesh versus thets, and using several in the thickness, not "just" one ... ?

it would probably make your 2 models more similar.

By the way, if you restrain the domain, its not necessary to restrain the boundaries
And I use rather the "fixed" BC, it's in fact the same as what you have made, if you look at the equations beneath (turn them on in the options menu). Then also if you restrain the full domain of your frame, why not "just " forget it.
Or use a more realistic fixture, such that the "true" modes including the frame show up

The convergence error I get too rather often in V4 for eigenfrequency analysis, not sure exactly how to get around either, but I notice that my results are mostly OK

By the way get hands on the latest patch, tehre are several issues corrected since yours

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all have you checked the influence of the mesh, using mapped/sweep mesh versus thets, and using several in the thickness, not "just" one ... ? it would probably make your 2 models more similar. By the way, if you restrain the domain, its not necessary to restrain the boundaries And I use rather the "fixed" BC, it's in fact the same as what you have made, if you look at the equations beneath (turn them on in the options menu). Then also if you restrain the full domain of your frame, why not "just " forget it. Or use a more realistic fixture, such that the "true" modes including the frame show up The convergence error I get too rather often in V4 for eigenfrequency analysis, not sure exactly how to get around either, but I notice that my results are mostly OK By the way get hands on the latest patch, tehre are several issues corrected since yours -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.