Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

"Hello there

I use HFSS most of the times for frequency sweep and plotting S11 over a range of frequencies to monitor the performance of the antenna and it seems pretty straight forward.

Now in COMSOL I have been trying to frequency sweep it through Frequency-Stationary Study and it takes ages to solve the problem and returns with the following error:

Failed to find a solution.
Divergence of the linear iterations.
There was an error message from the linear solver.
Very ill-conditioned preconditioner.
The relative residual is more than 1000 times larger than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.

Considering how simple this operation is, I am missing out on something. Is there any better way to find and plot the S11 against Frequency range?

Can somebody please suggest an alternative or the best way to achieve this?

Cheers

4 Replies Last Post 23 juin 2016, 07:00 UTC−4

Posted: 8 years ago 26 avr. 2016, 17:48 UTC−4
I guess the error is stemming from the poor mesh resolution . You need at least 5 mesh elements per wavelength. Enable the physics controlled mesh and select maximum frequency.

Cheer,
I guess the error is stemming from the poor mesh resolution . You need at least 5 mesh elements per wavelength. Enable the physics controlled mesh and select maximum frequency. Cheer,

Posted: 8 years ago 17 mai 2016, 06:53 UTC−4
Hello @Sohan Birla, thanks for the reply. I had tried your suggestions earlier on, but had no success. Is there a tutorial anywhere which shows the frequency sweep in COMSOL?

Thanks
Hello @Sohan Birla, thanks for the reply. I had tried your suggestions earlier on, but had no success. Is there a tutorial anywhere which shows the frequency sweep in COMSOL? Thanks

Posted: 8 years ago 17 mai 2016, 11:25 UTC−4
In frequency domain solver, frequency field type this range(2.4[GHz], 50[MHz], 2.6[GHz])
This will solve the EM over frequency from 2.4 yo 2.6 GHz at interval of 50 MHz. If your range of frequency are from MHz to THz than meshing need to be done for largest frequency.
In frequency domain solver, frequency field type this range(2.4[GHz], 50[MHz], 2.6[GHz]) This will solve the EM over frequency from 2.4 yo 2.6 GHz at interval of 50 MHz. If your range of frequency are from MHz to THz than meshing need to be done for largest frequency.

Posted: 8 years ago 23 juin 2016, 07:00 UTC−4
The problem is solved. Thanks Sohan
The problem is solved. Thanks Sohan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.