Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What does a S-parameter larger than 1 means?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a structure with 2 ports and periodic boundaries on the walls. In one port, excitation is on and in the other one, it is off. When I compute, I get a s-parameter of 1.5 for the transmission. I use these:
abs(emw.S11)^2
and
abs(emw.S12)^2

How is it possible? What does it mean? Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

--
Hadi Maghsoudiganjeh

1 Reply Last Post 20 déc. 2015, 18:31 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 20 déc. 2015, 18:31 UTC−5
I agree that that shouldn't happen, but don't know why it did. Have you tried various changes in boundary conditions, meshes, element order, etc.? Have you looked at arrow-plots of the fields and power-flow directions? Have you reviewed your port specifications in detail, and considered using different kinds of ports? You may have set up some kind of pathological configuration.
I agree that that shouldn't happen, but don't know why it did. Have you tried various changes in boundary conditions, meshes, element order, etc.? Have you looked at arrow-plots of the fields and power-flow directions? Have you reviewed your port specifications in detail, and considered using different kinds of ports? You may have set up some kind of pathological configuration.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.