Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Changing the diffusion coefficient has no effect

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I tried to model the residence time distribution of a (dye) tracer in a static mixer.

I first computed a stationary laminar flow field and then conducted a time-dependent study using the 'transport of diluted species' module with a time-dependent inlet concentration.
In principle this worked fine, but the distribution curve that i got was much steeper than in the experiment, i.e. too little diffusive.

I tried to change the diffusion coefficient (from the default 1e-9m²/s to 5e-9m²/s) but this did not have any effect. The tracer propagation is convection dominated (I think), but i still find it curious that the diffusion coefficient has no effect whatsoever.
Any ideas why that is or what I could try?

I also should mention that the default BDF solver did not converge and I had to use the generalized alpha solver. Not sure if this is relevant.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

1 Reply Last Post 1 déc. 2015, 05:12 UTC−5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 1 déc. 2015, 05:12 UTC−5
Consider the Peclet number of your system. If Pe >> 1 diffusion has no significance.

BR
Lasse
Consider the Peclet number of your system. If Pe >> 1 diffusion has no significance. BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.