Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force on object in magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the force on a block of stainless steel, as a result of a magnetic field.
The plot of the magnetic flux density looks good.
But when i calculate the forces on the block through global evaluation, the values go all over the place.
For example, there should only be a force in the x direction. in my case the y and z forces are not zero.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Janeau

2 Replies Last Post 30 nov. 2015, 07:35 UTC−5

Posted: 9 years ago 30 nov. 2015, 03:42 UTC−5
Hallo Janeau,

there should no force in any direction. Because when you place an object in a homogeneous field there is no prefered direction (none of the plus or minus direction appears to be stronger).

So the force you see is numerical noise, and when you refine the mesh the force become smaller.

Regards

Jens
Hallo Janeau, there should no force in any direction. Because when you place an object in a homogeneous field there is no prefered direction (none of the plus or minus direction appears to be stronger). So the force you see is numerical noise, and when you refine the mesh the force become smaller. Regards Jens

Posted: 9 years ago 30 nov. 2015, 07:35 UTC−5
Ahh yeah ofcourse, thanks for opening my eyes..

Best regards,

Janeau
Ahh yeah ofcourse, thanks for opening my eyes.. Best regards, Janeau

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.