Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force per unit length or area

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all

From a solution of 2D structure I get Maxwell stress tensor over a boundary, which I further want to apply, in a separate problem but on the same 2D structure and boundary, (using solid mechanics) as boundary load.

What I'm not sure is that: to apply this force distribution ''per unit length'' or ''per unit area''?

Cheers,
Can

2 Replies Last Post 12 nov. 2015, 02:33 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 11 nov. 2015, 15:04 UTC−5
Hi

check the units of your variable from the first "physics" the you will know ;)

Normally by default COMSOL works in densities per volume on Domains, per surface over Boundaries, but then in 2D and 1D respectively you need to correct for the loss of one dimension, generally in 2D its per "1m" depth, and in 1D per 1m^2 normal area for input, but the output results remain mostly as densities similar to 3D (there are some exceptions).
That is why it is so handy that COMSOL is systematic with units, provided you have been systematic by entering the units too ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the units of your variable from the first "physics" the you will know ;) Normally by default COMSOL works in densities per volume on Domains, per surface over Boundaries, but then in 2D and 1D respectively you need to correct for the loss of one dimension, generally in 2D its per "1m" depth, and in 1D per 1m^2 normal area for input, but the output results remain mostly as densities similar to 3D (there are some exceptions). That is why it is so handy that COMSOL is systematic with units, provided you have been systematic by entering the units too ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 12 nov. 2015, 02:33 UTC−5
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for reminding, I agree that sometimes I confuse more than I need :)

Cheers,
Can
Hi Ivar, Thanks for reminding, I agree that sometimes I confuse more than I need :) Cheers, Can

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.