Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to do remote computing?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello guys,

I'd like to do some remote computing but I don't know how to connect two PC's. One- the one I'm working on- needs to log into the Server, right? If I do, it alerts 'Connection refused'. I also haven't set up anything on the Server. There is the Option 'Remote Computing' in the Preferences, but what do I have to insert there?

Could someone tell me about the Basics?

Thanks in advance,
Philipp.

4 Replies Last Post 23 oct. 2015, 03:09 UTC−4

Posted: 9 years ago 21 oct. 2015, 10:05 UTC−4
Is your license type the nodelock? If so, you can't connect your computer to server. This means you need to Floating Network License(FNL).

reference to
www.comsol.com/products/licensing

regards,
Is your license type the nodelock? If so, you can't connect your computer to server. This means you need to Floating Network License(FNL). reference to http://www.comsol.com/products/licensing regards,

Posted: 9 years ago 21 oct. 2015, 10:23 UTC−4
Hi,

thanks for your reply. I'm just using it in an Enterprise, so I don't definitely know, but we have a certain amount of licenses which we can start COMSOL with at any desktop. So it's my understanding this is an FNL Version.
I guess it's more a network-problem, for certain ports are blocked by default.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm just using it in an Enterprise, so I don't definitely know, but we have a certain amount of licenses which we can start COMSOL with at any desktop. So it's my understanding this is an FNL Version. I guess it's more a network-problem, for certain ports are blocked by default.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 22 oct. 2015, 01:49 UTC−4
Hi

My way when I run COMSOL server on a "number cruncher", and pilot it from my laptop in my office, is to login remotely on the "number cruncher", launch the COMSOL SERVER (the blue Multiphysics server not the "red" Application one) and then I start the COMSOL client ("blue" one again not the "red" Application client) on my laptop and I connect to the server.

You should read through the doc about the Client-Server modus, there are some settings to play with if you want to disconnect and reconnect later without crashing your job

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My way when I run COMSOL server on a "number cruncher", and pilot it from my laptop in my office, is to login remotely on the "number cruncher", launch the COMSOL SERVER (the blue Multiphysics server not the "red" Application one) and then I start the COMSOL client ("blue" one again not the "red" Application client) on my laptop and I connect to the server. You should read through the doc about the Client-Server modus, there are some settings to play with if you want to disconnect and reconnect later without crashing your job -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 23 oct. 2015, 03:09 UTC−4
Hey Ivar,

I think that's what I was looking for. Thanks alot. :)

Have a nice day,
Philipp.
Hey Ivar, I think that's what I was looking for. Thanks alot. :) Have a nice day, Philipp.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.