Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

transient simulation using pipe flow module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey

im trying to model 2 concentric pipes, in the inner pipe there is hot water flow(forced convection) and in between the pipes there is closed gap with cold water(natural convection), the outer border is subjected to room temp natural convection.

the inner and outer pipe heat transfer coeff' are modeled by the pipe flow module heat transfer library,
and the closed gap natural convection was modeled as effective thermal conductivity from Holman book correlations.

im trying to estimate the bulk temp of the outlet water flow vs the changes in geometry and flow rate, but it seems that the module does not take into account the thermal mass of the pipe..

do you have any idea how to add it to my model?
i don't want to use 2D axisymmetric model since i have less confident in the results (or am i wrong here?)..

Thanks
Nadav

1 Reply Last Post 22 oct. 2015, 02:12 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 22 oct. 2015, 02:12 UTC−4
Hey,

let me refine the question,

solving 2D axisymetric natural converction CFD in closed enclosure with boundry paired to pipeflow will be more acurate then solving complete model in 2D axisymetric both for the pipe flow CFD and natural convection CFD?

thanks
Nadav
Hey, let me refine the question, solving 2D axisymetric natural converction CFD in closed enclosure with boundry paired to pipeflow will be more acurate then solving complete model in 2D axisymetric both for the pipe flow CFD and natural convection CFD? thanks Nadav

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.