Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermal expansion issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to model the thermal expansion of a block of silicon. I've set up my geometry, materials and physics, and if I disable the thermal coupling everything works. However, the only way I can get the thermal coupling to work is if I set an edge or face as a Fixed Constraint, which ruins the thermal expansion on that face, or if I set the entire component as a Rotating Frame with 0 Angular Velocity, which generates a ridiculous amount of data which is irrelevant to my simulation. Is there a better way to model the block in isolation?

I've uploaded the model in case that helps you understand what I'm trying to achieve.

Many thanks,

Josh

1 Reply Last Post 2 sept. 2015, 11:05 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2 sept. 2015, 11:05 UTC−4
Hi,

I suggest that you read e.g. section 7.6.2 in www.colorado.edu/engineering/CAS/courses.d/IFEM.d/IFEM.Ch07.d/IFEM.Ch07.pdf

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, I suggest that you read e.g. section 7.6.2 in http://www.colorado.edu/engineering/CAS/courses.d/IFEM.d/IFEM.Ch07.d/IFEM.Ch07.pdf Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.