Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Input and output flow mismatch

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, how are you doing?
I´m simulating a simple flow system channel with an input and three outputs. When i compute the input flow trough a boundary integration at each one of the input and outputs i realize that the total input flow does not match the total output flow. In my case, the total output flow is higher than the input flow.
Can someone tell me why this should be happening? How can i correct this problem?

Thank you very much

2 Replies Last Post 17 août 2015, 11:30 UTC−4

Posted: 9 years ago 17 août 2015, 01:53 UTC−4
I had the similar problem when I had narrow capillaries where the flow took place. Using swept mesh in the radial direction with symmetric geometrical distribution removed the problem. In my case, the outflow was thrice the inflow.
I had the similar problem when I had narrow capillaries where the flow took place. Using swept mesh in the radial direction with symmetric geometrical distribution removed the problem. In my case, the outflow was thrice the inflow.

Posted: 9 years ago 17 août 2015, 11:30 UTC−4
Hi Lase, thank you for your reply.
I think i had worked out the problem. In the output boundary condition i selected the "normal flow" check box. With this option selected the difference between input and output flow was reduced drastically. I had an relative error (between input and ouput flow) below 4%. So then i start reducing the mesh resolution in the input and ouput boundaries. With this the relative error fall below 1.65%. So i assume the model is now respecting the flow continuity. The remaining difference would be reduced increasing the mesh resolution at those boundaries.

Thank you very much
Hi Lase, thank you for your reply. I think i had worked out the problem. In the output boundary condition i selected the "normal flow" check box. With this option selected the difference between input and output flow was reduced drastically. I had an relative error (between input and ouput flow) below 4%. So then i start reducing the mesh resolution in the input and ouput boundaries. With this the relative error fall below 1.65%. So i assume the model is now respecting the flow continuity. The remaining difference would be reduced increasing the mesh resolution at those boundaries. Thank you very much

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.