Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How Does a "Temperature Boundary" Handle Heat Flux?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In my problem, I am letting a hot body of magma cool in the Earth's crust.

The far lateral boundary in the 2D axi-symmetric setup is prescribed a depth dependent T.

I SEE that when I run the model ... even for millions of years ... the crust retains that temperature prescription. Which is good.

But how is the "temperature boundary" actually handling it when heat from my hot body fluxes over to it?

It doesn't seem the insulate / accumulate
Is there a flux through the boundary?
Is the heat actually just "deleted" when it arrives, since the Temperature cannot be altered?

1 Reply Last Post 3 août 2015, 02:06 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 3 août 2015, 02:06 UTC−4
Hi

Basically the FEM code will adapt the local flux density (through your Tset boundary) to adjust the boundary temperature to the set value

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Basically the FEM code will adapt the local flux density (through your Tset boundary) to adjust the boundary temperature to the set value -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.