Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating leaks on a car

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I've just registered and have already got a question for you. I'm currently working on my final diploma thesis for a car manufacturer and I need your help. There's an issue where rain is leaking through the door seals, running down the window, then down the inside of the door and then onto the electronic control boxes destroying them. The manufacturer wants me to simulate the running water and it's path to prevent the problem in the future.
Would I be able to load Catia V5 data into the COMSOL CFD tool and simulate the water running down the car?
I'm quite new to this so would appreciate your help.

regards

Dave

2 Replies Last Post 6 août 2010, 09:44 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 août 2010, 10:57 UTC−4
Hi

For mne that seems rather ambitious, to model something like that (I suppose with wind + liquide + surface tension+ solid walls + gravity is rather complex).

The second question, just as important how to validate such a complex model with so many variables ?

In any case I can only suggest to start "simple" with just a few physics and build the model gradually, to sstart anyhow make a table o all physics involved and boundary conditions / mterial propoerties required

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi For mne that seems rather ambitious, to model something like that (I suppose with wind + liquide + surface tension+ solid walls + gravity is rather complex). The second question, just as important how to validate such a complex model with so many variables ? In any case I can only suggest to start "simple" with just a few physics and build the model gradually, to sstart anyhow make a table o all physics involved and boundary conditions / mterial propoerties required -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 août 2010, 09:44 UTC−4
Hi,

thanks for your reply. I understand that I would be quite complex. We just want to look at a simple scenario at the moment, i.e. the car is parked with no external forces on it apart from gravity. So basically the car is parked in the rain and water is travelling through the window seal and down along the door.

Is it possible to simulate something like this with Comsol?

regards

Dave
Hi, thanks for your reply. I understand that I would be quite complex. We just want to look at a simple scenario at the moment, i.e. the car is parked with no external forces on it apart from gravity. So basically the car is parked in the rain and water is travelling through the window seal and down along the door. Is it possible to simulate something like this with Comsol? regards Dave

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.