Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Large Deformation and Hyperelasticity of Shell Elements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently working on modeling shell elements in COMSOL, and my material will undergo large deformations. Thus, there is a good chance that a hyperelastic material model will be required. Under the shell physics, I only found a linear material model, so I was wondering if there is a way to use nonlinear models as well (whether the shell elements could be modified or other models could be imported into the module).

Additionally, I am having problems with the material's large deformations when it is modeled as a shell. When using plates or beams, I check the "include geometric nonlinearity" checkbox in study1r>step1:stationary and use segregated step as demonstrated in one of the COMSOL examples titled "large deformation analysis of a beam." However, this same procedure does not produce the large deformation for a shell element. It is still bending for a case of small deformation (no bending/curling is occurring, just vertical tip displacement). Are there extra steps that need to be taken for a shell element?

Additional information about the model: the material is subject to an internal distributed moment (body load) and an internal axial stress. The paragraph above is for just the distributed moment case. I later plan on using this model in the multibody dynamics module.

Thanks,

Anil Erol
The Pennsylvania State University

2 Replies Last Post 4 juin 2015, 12:14 UTC−4

Posted: 9 years ago 31 mai 2015, 21:26 UTC−4
Hi,

I think it is enough to enable the large deformation by checking the "include geometric nonlinearity". You can check the variable dx/dX to see if it is large deformation. And, it seems that you cannot check the "force linear strain" in the solid mechanics, because it will force the structure as a small deformation.

Best,
Rong
Hi, I think it is enough to enable the large deformation by checking the "include geometric nonlinearity". You can check the variable dx/dX to see if it is large deformation. And, it seems that you cannot check the "force linear strain" in the solid mechanics, because it will force the structure as a small deformation. Best, Rong

Posted: 9 years ago 4 juin 2015, 12:14 UTC−4
Hi Rong,

I have the large deformation working now for shells. However, I am still not sure if there is a way to implement hyperelastic material models to shell elements.

Thank you,
Anil
Hi Rong, I have the large deformation working now for shells. However, I am still not sure if there is a way to implement hyperelastic material models to shell elements. Thank you, Anil

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.