Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating pairs in model with moving mesh and magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a model with three main domains, two of them being fixed, and the third one, in the middle, with a given vertical displacement as function of time. A magnet is placed in the domain on the left, and I want to observe the streamlines of the magnetic field throughout all domains.

I use so-called sliding meshes, and therefore set identity pairs between the three domains. Unfortunately, when I look at the results, it seems that the magnetic field is computed once at the beginning of the transient simulation, and that this same magnetic field does not change anymore in the domain which is moving, although it definitely should! The streamlines become discontinues, which should not happen.

Any idea what I set wrong in my model?

Thanks if you can help me.

Kind regards, Alois Pfenniger

3 Replies Last Post 1 juil. 2010, 19:00 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 juin 2010, 10:16 UTC−4
Problem solved :-)
Problem solved :-)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juin 2010, 19:25 UTC−4
Hi Alois,

where was the problem? How did you solve it?

cheers,
JM
Hi Alois, where was the problem? How did you solve it? cheers, JM

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 juil. 2010, 19:00 UTC−4
Hi,

I had to change many things, and I cannot tell you exactly what was responsible for my problem (probably there were several mistakes…).

You find below the exact instructions of what I changed in the first model for it to work. I also attached the working model to this post.

Multiphysics -> Application mode ALE :
Physics -> Properties :
- weak constraints : “off”
- analysis type : “static”

Draw -> Create composite object -> “R1+CO1”
Draw ->Create pairs -> “R2 C02” (without imprint)
Draw -> Create pairs -> “R2 R3” (without imprint)

Physics -> Subdomain settings:
3 -> Prescribed displacement -> “z1” in z direction

Multiphyics -> Application mode EMQA
Physics -> Boundary settings:
Everywhere, except for pairs and rotation axis and boundaries of magnet: “Magnetic insulation”
Both sides of both pairs: electric insulation
Rotation axis: axial symmetry
Boundaries of magnet: continuity
Deactivate “weak constraints” on all boundaries which are not moving

Physics -> Identity pairs -> Identity boundary pairs:
Make sure that for Pair 1, Source boundaries = 9 and destination boundaries = 8
Make sure that for Pair 2, Source boundaries = 12 and destination boundaries = 13
Under “Advanced”, make sure that for both pairs, all the frames are set to “Frame(ale)”

Add equation for displacement:
Physics –> Global equations
z1 z1-z2
Options -> Expressions -> Global Expressions
z2 0.09*t
(0.09 instead of 0.1 in the original model is just to avoid that at t=1s, the subdomain which is moving reaches the edges of the fixed subdomains, which gives an error in the solver).

Reset model to clear previous solutions (File -> Reset Model)
Initialize mesh and refine twice.

Solve :-)

Hope it helps. Regards,

Alois
Hi, I had to change many things, and I cannot tell you exactly what was responsible for my problem (probably there were several mistakes…). You find below the exact instructions of what I changed in the first model for it to work. I also attached the working model to this post. Multiphysics -> Application mode ALE : Physics -> Properties : - weak constraints : “off” - analysis type : “static” Draw -> Create composite object -> “R1+CO1” Draw ->Create pairs -> “R2 C02” (without imprint) Draw -> Create pairs -> “R2 R3” (without imprint) Physics -> Subdomain settings: 3 -> Prescribed displacement -> “z1” in z direction Multiphyics -> Application mode EMQA Physics -> Boundary settings: Everywhere, except for pairs and rotation axis and boundaries of magnet: “Magnetic insulation” Both sides of both pairs: electric insulation Rotation axis: axial symmetry Boundaries of magnet: continuity Deactivate “weak constraints” on all boundaries which are not moving Physics -> Identity pairs -> Identity boundary pairs: Make sure that for Pair 1, Source boundaries = 9 and destination boundaries = 8 Make sure that for Pair 2, Source boundaries = 12 and destination boundaries = 13 Under “Advanced”, make sure that for both pairs, all the frames are set to “Frame(ale)” Add equation for displacement: Physics –> Global equations z1 z1-z2 Options -> Expressions -> Global Expressions z2 0.09*t (0.09 instead of 0.1 in the original model is just to avoid that at t=1s, the subdomain which is moving reaches the edges of the fixed subdomains, which gives an error in the solver). Reset model to clear previous solutions (File -> Reset Model) Initialize mesh and refine twice. Solve :-) Hope it helps. Regards, Alois

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.