Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing DXF issues -- stray domains and boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to import a geometry from a DXF file. However, the imported object has many domains, which makes the meshing unacceptably slow. Furthermore, the interior boundaries are unnecessary, and make it hard to select the boundaries for which I need to set initial conditions. So, is there a way of "merging" all the domains into one and getting rid of the interior boundaries? Please see attachment to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

5 Replies Last Post 23 mai 2014, 07:53 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 juin 2010, 18:08 UTC−4
In comsol 4, after importing make a Union, and check the remove internal boundaries option. does it work?
In comsol 4, after importing make a Union, and check the remove internal boundaries option. does it work?

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 juin 2010, 18:27 UTC−4
Exactly what I needed. Thanks!
Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 02:52 UTC−4
Hi

One should always check DXF files, they tend to be poorly connected (i.e. the concept of "polyline" is often not there) and this makes the geometry splitted up in small parts.

Ivar
Hi One should always check DXF files, they tend to be poorly connected (i.e. the concept of "polyline" is often not there) and this makes the geometry splitted up in small parts. Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 12:45 UTC−4
Hi Ivar,

Actually, I am starting from an SVG file which I then export to DXF using Adobe illustrator. Is there an easier way to go from a vector image format to COMSOL? I suppose I could write a script to convert the SVG to a bunch of Bezier curves, but the SVG->DXF conversion is fine.

--Eduardo
Hi Ivar, Actually, I am starting from an SVG file which I then export to DXF using Adobe illustrator. Is there an easier way to go from a vector image format to COMSOL? I suppose I could write a script to convert the SVG to a bunch of Bezier curves, but the SVG->DXF conversion is fine. --Eduardo

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mai 2014, 07:53 UTC−4
even after forming union I have a split domain. For other models when I capped the faces for acoustic simulation the domain merged and it was only two . one solid part and one fluid part. but this doesnt work in all models. Is there any possibility in COMSOl where you can move the Domains or merge domains or move ?
even after forming union I have a split domain. For other models when I capped the faces for acoustic simulation the domain merged and it was only two . one solid part and one fluid part. but this doesnt work in all models. Is there any possibility in COMSOl where you can move the Domains or merge domains or move ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.