Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Resistive Heating, MEMS Application

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All and thank you reading,

I am a new user of 2 weeks now and I am currently attempting to model a PCR lab on chip apparatus. I have decided to approach building this by a bottom-up approach. Therefore, I am currently working with a gold resistive heater attached to the surface of a glass substrate. The final model will include SiO2 on the glass and resistive heater followed by PDMS and the PCR fluid.

I am having a tough time... I have looked through out the tutorials and have come across the Resistive Heating example in the Multiphysics Modeling Guide and the Heating Circuit tutorial in the Heat Transfer Modeling Library.
These help a great deal, but I do not have the AC/DC module or MEMS module. Therefore, I do not have access to the Shell, Conductive Media DC application. I have been using Transient Joule Heating as my multiphysics choice.

The errors I come across are 1.) some sort of improper coupling of the multiphysics I have chosen. 2.) in time dependent solution, the mesh is not allowing a timely convergence on a relatively simple calculation and 3.) no difference in boundary temperature from the initial Temperature defined.

I will attach a few models for anyone who cares to dive deep into my problems!

Thank you for your time,
Daniel

1 Reply Last Post 24 janv. 2011, 06:14 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dan Student

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 janv. 2011, 06:14 UTC−5
I suggest u to study the attached presentation and use its boundary conditions (Slide 7). Hopefully it work.
I suggest u to study the attached presentation and use its boundary conditions (Slide 7). Hopefully it work.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.