Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric contact pair

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with my quite simple simulation. It is about a MEMS thermal actuated switch which should close and put in contact two biased electrodes.

The problem is that the simulation does not converge in the moment when the two parts (plate and electrodes) come in contact, and this seems to be due to the presence of Aluminum; in fact, in a previous version which is completely made of Silicon, things are apparently running in the right way.

I have tried many things (changes in the geometry, in the solver parameters, and in the definition of the contact and electrical pair) but I can't solve the problem, which disappears only when I return to a structure completely made of Silicon.

Can anyone help me? I really have no idea of what I'm doing wrong, but I feel like I'm missing something fundamental. Unfortunately I cannot upload the models because they are too big files (6 MB), does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks for help!

0 Replies Last Post 13 janv. 2015, 12:52 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alberto Ferrero

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.