Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sample Patch Antenna with S11 Graph

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi;

Is there any one port Coaxial cable fed Sample Patch Antenna simulation with S11 Graph Plotted?

Thank you so much in advance.

5 Replies Last Post 22 déc. 2014, 06:04 UTC−5

Posted: 10 years ago 17 déc. 2014, 08:29 UTC−5
Have you checked the model gallery for the RF module? There are a couple antenna models there that should help. If you would like a more direct answer to your problem post your file or an equivalent and a better answer can be found.
Have you checked the model gallery for the RF module? There are a couple antenna models there that should help. If you would like a more direct answer to your problem post your file or an equivalent and a better answer can be found.

Posted: 10 years ago 17 déc. 2014, 08:56 UTC−5
First of all thank you so much for your kind response. I have already checked the model gallery. There are some patch antenna examples and I also made a model refering to them. But my model seems to me a bit wrong. I couldn't be sure if i did it correctly. Also simulations time take longer than Comsol Example models.
I think I just need a very simple patch antenna with coaxial feed model in order to check my model.
Moreover you can find my model below;
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86029467/antenna_trial.mph

Thanks in advance.
First of all thank you so much for your kind response. I have already checked the model gallery. There are some patch antenna examples and I also made a model refering to them. But my model seems to me a bit wrong. I couldn't be sure if i did it correctly. Also simulations time take longer than Comsol Example models. I think I just need a very simple patch antenna with coaxial feed model in order to check my model. Moreover you can find my model below; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86029467/antenna_trial.mph Thanks in advance.

Posted: 10 years ago 17 déc. 2014, 11:12 UTC−5
First off, some things that really stand out:

1) You're surrounding PML will need a swept mesh. Check some of the other antenna model files that can help with this. This will affect your mesh operation. Pay attention to this as it is important.

2) Your lumped port connection has two selected items. You just need one, which in your case is boundary 17.

3) Your PEC for the coax has boundary 18 included. This will short out your circuit.

4) In the emw intfc, if you took out domain 5 you would not have to add the boundaries back in with the PEC BC for coax. It would do this automatically in the default PEC1. This is not a must do but simplifies book keeping a bit.

Your biggest challenge is the PML. It really is not that bad but go through the examples. I would also suggest simulating at just one freq and verify results w/o having to wait a long time.

First off, some things that really stand out: 1) You're surrounding PML will need a swept mesh. Check some of the other antenna model files that can help with this. This will affect your mesh operation. Pay attention to this as it is important. 2) Your lumped port connection has two selected items. You just need one, which in your case is boundary 17. 3) Your PEC for the coax has boundary 18 included. This will short out your circuit. 4) In the emw intfc, if you took out domain 5 you would not have to add the boundaries back in with the PEC BC for coax. It would do this automatically in the default PEC1. This is not a must do but simplifies book keeping a bit. Your biggest challenge is the PML. It really is not that bad but go through the examples. I would also suggest simulating at just one freq and verify results w/o having to wait a long time.

Posted: 10 years ago 19 déc. 2014, 15:36 UTC−5
If you just want a simple feed for the patch, why don't you use a lumped port? What's the reason for the coax? Are you really interested in simulating fields inside a coax?
If you just want a simple feed for the patch, why don't you use a lumped port? What's the reason for the coax? Are you really interested in simulating fields inside a coax?

Posted: 10 years ago 22 déc. 2014, 06:04 UTC−5
Dear All;

Thank you so much for your kind and helpful replies. I have solved my problem and I would like to share some useful information for people who would visit this topic,

-Swept Mesh: You can easily do meshing with COMSOL 5: www.comsol.com/video/automated-meshing-electromagnetic-waves-frequency-domain-simulations

-You can follow this link as a patch antenna example: www.comsol.com/model/circularly-polarized-antenna-for-the-gps-applications-15835

-COMSOL 5, RF Module also has some extras for instance S-Parameter Results come automatically as a Graph, you don't need to plot it as an extra.
Dear All; Thank you so much for your kind and helpful replies. I have solved my problem and I would like to share some useful information for people who would visit this topic, -Swept Mesh: You can easily do meshing with COMSOL 5: http://www.comsol.com/video/automated-meshing-electromagnetic-waves-frequency-domain-simulations -You can follow this link as a patch antenna example: http://www.comsol.com/model/circularly-polarized-antenna-for-the-gps-applications-15835 -COMSOL 5, RF Module also has some extras for instance S-Parameter Results come automatically as a Graph, you don't need to plot it as an extra.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.