Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Tunneling through barrier

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to simulate tunneling through voltage (energy) barrier of electrons.
In order to evaluate the tunneling probability by WKB approximation, I need to use the voltage distribution over the device and integrate it over the distance of tunneling.
Currently, I am using ODE: Tunneling_Probability-exp(-2/hbar*integrate(sqrt(2*me*(V*e-Ex)), x, 0, 2e-9)
WKB for 2nm tunneling through barrier with Voltage V and Ex energy of electron (Ex is a parameter which I integrate on it afterward).
When I am trying to insert the V (voltage) to the integral, I get an error notification.
Before that, I used 3[V] instead of the term V, and it worked, but now COMSOL can't handle with this.

Do I need to use ODE in order to integrate this term?
How can I combine the accurate voltage dependence and not writing a term of my own?
Do I need to use an event of Current/Tunneling_Probability change in order to create an iteration calculation?

thanks,

Ron

0 Replies Last Post 11 déc. 2014, 04:40 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ron Lira

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.