Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time-scaling coefficient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In the Heat transfer equation, the time scaling coefficient accounts for different time scale (mins/hrs instead of second).
I am using a dimensionless unit system. I am using time in milliseconds. Do I need to use time scaling coefficient as 1000 (1/0.001 sec) to accommodate for milliseconds in dimensionless system?
Please share your expertize.

Thanks in advance,
Rakesh

2 Replies Last Post 20 août 2010, 22:56 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 avr. 2010, 02:13 UTC−4
Hi

for me dimensionless means normalisation (and that is all what the scale factor is about), but you should be able to take your/Comsols formulas and check the units such to identify the correct scale factor and units, no?

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi for me dimensionless means normalisation (and that is all what the scale factor is about), but you should be able to take your/Comsols formulas and check the units such to identify the correct scale factor and units, no? Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 août 2010, 22:56 UTC−4
I am afraid dimensionless means much more than scaling! The denominator doesn't have to be constant.
A fomula is consistant in units automatically if written in a dimensionless form. Please don't treat your users like highschool kids.
I am afraid dimensionless means much more than scaling! The denominator doesn't have to be constant. A fomula is consistant in units automatically if written in a dimensionless form. Please don't treat your users like highschool kids.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.