Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

microwave drying of a porous medium

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good afternoon,

I’m trying to simulate the microwave drying of a porous medium.
In the preliminary tests, using the heat transfer in solids module, I simulate with success the drying of the porous material. The material was closed in a chamber filled with moisture air and was heated by a plate at a fixed temperature. I consider the phase change at 373K.
The next step is to couple it to the RF module. I followed the steps of the potato cooking by microwave example. In the beginning I don’t have any results due to no convergence problems.
All tests were performed in transient mode. I do not believe that the problem is in the mesh, because it meets the Nyquist criterion.

I rebuild everything from scratch (with simple geometric differences relatively to the first test) and now I have some results, although sometimes the program stops in the middle. Still, the results are very strange. I send one attached figure.

Someone can help me with these matters?
1) How to overcome the convergence problems;
2) How to interpreting these results;
3) How to overcome them.

I wonder if it is possible to couple the module of the porous medium with the RF module, as in the potato example! I had no problems simulating the drying using only the thermal module!

Thank you.
Best regards,
Tiago Santos

0 Replies Last Post 20 nov. 2014, 11:43 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tiago Santos

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.