Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing Small Channels with High Aspect Ratio

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am attempting to mesh a heat sink with forced air. I have made this same model where the fins have a pitch of 10mm+ and it works fine. However, I have now attempted to reduce the pitch to 5mm and I am getting all sorts of meshing errors. The most persistent one is that on the face running the length of the channel on the fins, i get failed to respect boundary. I have tried adding edge elements to fin edge and sizing the face, but nothing seems to work. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Also, I have been reading quite a bit and have come across meshing domains. Would it be wise to break each individual fin into a different domain and mesh? That would leave me with the heating source domains, the substrate domain, the fins domains, and the air domain. As of right now i am trying to mesh the substrate and fins together.

There are 30 fins at a 5mm pitch that are 67mm tall and 165mm long. The air domain is 250mm long, 67 mm tall (just covers fins), and 165mm wide.

Thank you to all and any willing to help.

1 Reply Last Post 1 nov. 2014, 10:08 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 1 nov. 2014, 10:08 UTC−4
So I added a convert node to my mesh that took care of the quad elements showing up. Im conviced that because my geometry was a full 3d and I cut it in half at the end it did something "weird" to the geometry causing the meshing algorithm to put those elements in there.

Anyway, convert is a great feature if anyone ever comes across this problem.
So I added a convert node to my mesh that took care of the quad elements showing up. Im conviced that because my geometry was a full 3d and I cut it in half at the end it did something "weird" to the geometry causing the meshing algorithm to put those elements in there. Anyway, convert is a great feature if anyone ever comes across this problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.