Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact mode capacitive pressure sensor modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to model the contact mode capacitive pressure sensor using electromechanics module, but I do not know how to set the contact condition. For the contact mode pressure sensor, there are two insulating layer coated on two electrodes located on diaphragm and substrate respectively. The total thickness of two insulation layers defines the final spacing between terminal and ground when contacted (so that the capacitance can be calculated). I defined contact pair between the two facing surfaces of coating layers. However, if I only define air (in the chamber) as electrical material model, I could not select the electrode boundary (as a internal boundary between electrode and the coating layer) as terminal or ground. If I include the coating layers in the electrical material model, one of the contact pair is "not applicable" in the "electromechanics-->pairs-->structural-->contact". Could any one who has relevant experience tell me where the problem is?

This problem is really frustrating, thanks so much!

3 Replies Last Post 3 nov. 2014, 11:49 UTC−5

Posted: 10 years ago 28 oct. 2014, 12:12 UTC−4
Could anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Could anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Posted: 10 years ago 2 nov. 2014, 21:02 UTC−5
Still have this problem, does anyone have any idea? Thanks so much!
Still have this problem, does anyone have any idea? Thanks so much!

Posted: 10 years ago 3 nov. 2014, 11:49 UTC−5
Hello,

I attached the file I am working on. This is a 2D axis simulation using Electromechanics module. The drawing is a cross section view of a capacitive pressure sensor with upper and lower electrodes both coated with Al2O3 insulation layer. I defined two insulation layers as contact pair. I am trying to sweep pressure applied on the top boundary until the diaphragm touches the substrate (actually two insulation layers get touched). I followed the microgripper example (www.comsol.eu/model/piezoelectric-actuated-microgripper-4695), but when once it touches, error will come up and the simulation stops.

Hope anyone here will give me a suggestion.

Thanks,
Xin
Hello, I attached the file I am working on. This is a 2D axis simulation using Electromechanics module. The drawing is a cross section view of a capacitive pressure sensor with upper and lower electrodes both coated with Al2O3 insulation layer. I defined two insulation layers as contact pair. I am trying to sweep pressure applied on the top boundary until the diaphragm touches the substrate (actually two insulation layers get touched). I followed the microgripper example (http://www.comsol.eu/model/piezoelectric-actuated-microgripper-4695), but when once it touches, error will come up and the simulation stops. Hope anyone here will give me a suggestion. Thanks, Xin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.