Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hello, Ivar Kjelberg, help please

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Ivar

I have attached my model so you can see it. My probe is coaxial cable excited from one port with microwave signal. the other end of the coaxial cable will go up to two layers (samples) the first sample will be air and the second sample will be a material with relative permittivity equals to 2.
First, I will fix the end port in the sample 1(AIR) and the frequency equals to 0.1 GHz and calculate the reflection coefficient (S11) at the aperture of the coaxial
Second, I will repeat the first step with frequency equals to 0.3,1 and 3 GHz and calculate the S11 at each frequency.
When I did this the S11 increases with as the frequency increases and this result is wrong because as the frequency increases the S11 should decreases. There is some thing wrong, but I could not discover it.

If this works, I will fix the frequency and make the sweep parametric to move the probe up with step of 0.01mm from the sample1 to sample 2.

I think the problem in the boundary condition.

Please solve this problem for me.

Mabrouka

2 Replies Last Post 27 oct. 2014, 06:53 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 10 years ago 27 oct. 2014, 02:56 UTC−4
Hi

I believe the issue is that you have no surrounding air to allow the EM field to loop around. Do not forget that magnetic and EM fields are generated by current loops and field loops and here you allow neither to develop. The EM field enter into vacuum or air = the spatial region around your device and closes it's loop there, so you need to define our model completely otherwise it will not be physical and you are missing BC

Check the EM models and do a couple of those, then you will understand

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe the issue is that you have no surrounding air to allow the EM field to loop around. Do not forget that magnetic and EM fields are generated by current loops and field loops and here you allow neither to develop. The EM field enter into vacuum or air = the spatial region around your device and closes it's loop there, so you need to define our model completely otherwise it will not be physical and you are missing BC Check the EM models and do a couple of those, then you will understand -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago 27 oct. 2014, 06:53 UTC−4

Dear Ivar

Thank you for replying, Actually, I don't understand well what I need to do with my model. Could you explain with more details please.
Do You mean I have to surround all the outer cylinder by another one which is Air?

Thanks

Dear Ivar Thank you for replying, Actually, I don't understand well what I need to do with my model. Could you explain with more details please. Do You mean I have to surround all the outer cylinder by another one which is Air? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.