Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Partition Imported Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to partition a geometry that I've imported from Solidworks. I've introduced a workplane and drawn a rectangle where I wish to split the geometry to obtain different domains. After this I tried converting the rectangle into the solid, however keep getting an error that says, "output object is empty".

Also can I refine a mesh within a single domain? The purpose behind partitioning the domains is to refine it without any hassle.

Would appreciate any help. I'm kind of new to this.

4 Replies Last Post 27 oct. 2014, 12:43 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 16 oct. 2014, 16:27 UTC−4
Hello Arjun,
If you can, use 4.4: we've introduced a Boolean Operation called "Partition" that lets you do what you want easily.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Arjun, If you can, use 4.4: we've introduced a Boolean Operation called "Partition" that lets you do what you want easily. Best, Jeff

Posted: 10 years ago 16 oct. 2014, 17:17 UTC−4
Hi Jeff,

I appreciate your help. Unfortunately I only have access to 4.3b. Any tricks you recommend in this?

Regards,

Arjun
Hi Jeff, I appreciate your help. Unfortunately I only have access to 4.3b. Any tricks you recommend in this? Regards, Arjun

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 16 oct. 2014, 22:13 UTC−4
Have you tried combining your geometry with various rectangular blocks (to separate it into the parts you want) using Boolean operations such as difference and intersection?
Have you tried combining your geometry with various rectangular blocks (to separate it into the parts you want) using Boolean operations such as difference and intersection?

Posted: 10 years ago 27 oct. 2014, 12:43 UTC−4
The partition function worked wonders.

I've been going through some literature on the COMSOL website regarding mesh quality. The write up mentions, "minimum mesh quality" as a good parameter to assess mesh quality. It also mentions that these parameters vary with respect to the different applications.

I'm currently working on a 3-D model that simulates microfluidic flow. I'm using an insanely fine mesh yet the minimum mesh quality is of the order e-4. I've ensured the growth-rate is limited to 1 but have the x-direction geometry scale set to 3. (the direction in which steep gradients occur)

Any ideas on which parameters might be a tell-tale sign of a good mesh for a micro-fluidic application?

Cheers
The partition function worked wonders. I've been going through some literature on the COMSOL website regarding mesh quality. The write up mentions, "minimum mesh quality" as a good parameter to assess mesh quality. It also mentions that these parameters vary with respect to the different applications. I'm currently working on a 3-D model that simulates microfluidic flow. I'm using an insanely fine mesh yet the minimum mesh quality is of the order e-4. I've ensured the growth-rate is limited to 1 but have the x-direction geometry scale set to 3. (the direction in which steep gradients occur) Any ideas on which parameters might be a tell-tale sign of a good mesh for a micro-fluidic application? Cheers

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.