Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Induced Current Convergence Issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
I am modeling inductively coupled wires using the magnetic and electric fields physics in the AC/DC module, using terminals and grounds to produce an initial current. However, no matter which solver or solver configurations I use I cannot get my solution to converge. The best result I can get is using the preconditioner, but after running for an absurd amount of iterations I still get a convergence error, so there's no way to know if the result is even on the right track.
Is there a problem with my meshing, or perhaps the way I created the air domain around the wires?
Thank you

I don't why I can't make the model file smaller than it currently is (~70MB), but I am including a Dropbox link to the file. Hopefully it is not too large to be downloaded and looked at.
www.dropbox.com/s/es4q2oubb3c6yyx/5umgoodthick.mph

1 Reply Last Post 27 juin 2014, 11:41 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 juin 2014, 11:41 UTC−4
Hi Jonathan,

To reduce your file size, you can clear the solution and the mesh. In 4.3b, you can do it through the edit menu (at the right of the file menu) by selecting : clear all meshes and clear all solutions.

I did not open your model, but my first guess would be the air electrical conductivity. By default, it is set to 0. In order to get a convergence, you should try a higher value (10 for example) and then make it decrease until it converge.

Hope this helps.

Patrice Gouin
Hi Jonathan, To reduce your file size, you can clear the solution and the mesh. In 4.3b, you can do it through the edit menu (at the right of the file menu) by selecting : clear all meshes and clear all solutions. I did not open your model, but my first guess would be the air electrical conductivity. By default, it is set to 0. In order to get a convergence, you should try a higher value (10 for example) and then make it decrease until it converge. Hope this helps. Patrice Gouin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.