Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Domain-dependent material properties?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am trying to simplify a 3D-->2D model for a creep flow/ transport problem.

I have a screenshot of part of the model attached.

What I am trying to do is to define the material (water) dynamic viscosity to be one value in the red colored domain (and the grey bulk in the center), and to be another value in the blue colored domain. The blue domain is actually about 350 tiny connection ports from the outside-in that would simulate a variable thickness that I can't capture in 2D.

If I set the material property expression to "u", and define two model variables to be "u" in the <red domain> and "u" in the <blue domain> I return with an error of duplicate variables.

Is there a way to do this? I am running COMSOL 4.3

1 Reply Last Post 6 juin 2014, 05:30 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2014, 05:30 UTC−4
Hi,

You may have not selected the geometric entity level correctly for the variable u. You need to create two variables node, with each variable having relevant geometric entity level.

Or another problem could be that 'u' is the name of a dependent variable, I mean 'u' could be defined as x displacement or pressure or concentration or whatever by default by COMSOL. Try renaming u.

Suresh
Hi, You may have not selected the geometric entity level correctly for the variable u. You need to create two variables node, with each variable having relevant geometric entity level. Or another problem could be that 'u' is the name of a dependent variable, I mean 'u' could be defined as x displacement or pressure or concentration or whatever by default by COMSOL. Try renaming u. Suresh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.