Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameter value list (elastoplasticity)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm simulating a tensile test on a steel tube presenting some defaults with external strain-stress data. I want ultimately to have a strain-stress curve plotted by Comsol for the defective geometry I defined. For that, I defined an interpolation function, named delta, with different numerical values refering to the displacement applied on the top surface of the tube. I also defined a parameter named para, and putted on the prescribed displacement 'delta(para)'. I simply followed the steps of the 'Compression of an Elastoplastic Pipe' model given in Comsol file.
Now in Study 1 --> Step 1 : Stationary-->Study extensions-->Continuation, the model proposes to add the parameter para in the 'Continuation parameter' column and the following : " range(0,0.02,1) range(1.005,
0.005, 1.05) 1.1 2" in the 'Parameter value list' column.
I don't understand the three ranges, nor how Comsol understand the syntax used. Could somebody explain this to me (knowing that what I want ultimately is a strain-stress curve) ? Thanks in advance !

Kind regards.

3 Replies Last Post 5 mai 2014, 10:49 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mai 2014, 06:16 UTC−4
My parameter para corresponds to time in a real experiment test. In fact, all my data is taken from an experimentation, and 'para' takes a large range of values from 0 to 518. Is their a condensed way to write them all down ?
My parameter para corresponds to time in a real experiment test. In fact, all my data is taken from an experimentation, and 'para' takes a large range of values from 0 to 518. Is their a condensed way to write them all down ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mai 2014, 06:22 UTC−4
I guess I should have searched a bit more before I post here. There is a little icon named "Range" just below the table of "Continuation" ...
I guess I should have searched a bit more before I post here. There is a little icon named "Range" just below the table of "Continuation" ...

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mai 2014, 10:49 UTC−4
Well, I return after encountering a problem with computing because of the range I set.
I put for my continuation parameter 'para' the range : range(0,1,518). An error message is displayed saying that the software has "failed to find a solution for the initial parameter". When I don't activate the continuation check box, I have no computing problems errors, but once I activate it, I have this error message.
Well, I return after encountering a problem with computing because of the range I set. I put for my continuation parameter 'para' the range : range(0,1,518). An error message is displayed saying that the software has "failed to find a solution for the initial parameter". When I don't activate the continuation check box, I have no computing problems errors, but once I activate it, I have this error message.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.