Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bulk modulus for viscoelastic materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I noticed that the viscoelastic model only allow the inputs of shear modulus and relaxation time for the material properties. What about bulk modulus which is also a viscoelastic parameter? Any solutions to a viscoelastic bulk modulus? Thank you, -- Steve.

4 Replies Last Post 29 avr. 2014, 11:55 UTC−4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2014, 09:43 UTC−4
Hi Steve,

In the viscoelastic material only the deviatoric deformation is viscoelastic. The volumetric deformation is only elastic which is a reasonable assumption for most materials. The bulk modulus is therefore obtained from the base elastic material properties.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Steve, In the viscoelastic material only the deviatoric deformation is viscoelastic. The volumetric deformation is only elastic which is a reasonable assumption for most materials. The bulk modulus is therefore obtained from the base elastic material properties. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2014, 16:29 UTC−4
Hi Nagi, Thanks for your reply. What if I want to model a viscoelastic material with a time dependent bulk modulus, which may be the case for some geo-materials. Can you please give me any suggestions for this? Thank you again.--Steve

Hi Steve,

In the viscoelastic material only the deviatoric deformation is viscoelastic. The volumetric deformation is only elastic which is a reasonable assumption for most materials. The bulk modulus is therefore obtained from the base elastic material properties.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Hi Nagi, Thanks for your reply. What if I want to model a viscoelastic material with a time dependent bulk modulus, which may be the case for some geo-materials. Can you please give me any suggestions for this? Thank you again.--Steve [QUOTE] Hi Steve, In the viscoelastic material only the deviatoric deformation is viscoelastic. The volumetric deformation is only elastic which is a reasonable assumption for most materials. The bulk modulus is therefore obtained from the base elastic material properties. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE]

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 avr. 2014, 00:24 UTC−4
You can switch to a volumetric creep model instead of viscoelasticity. You can also modify the viscoelastic equations to make the volumetric deformation viscoelastic. That is doable but not trivial.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You can switch to a volumetric creep model instead of viscoelasticity. You can also modify the viscoelastic equations to make the volumetric deformation viscoelastic. That is doable but not trivial. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 avr. 2014, 11:55 UTC−4
Thank you for your suggestions, Nagi.
Steve
Thank you for your suggestions, Nagi. Steve

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.