Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[How to calculate quality factor] Cylindrical Dielectric Resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,
Hi! I am a new one to use COMSOL, currently I want to simulate a simple case - cylindrical dielectric resonator (Reference: Microwave Engineering, 4th ed. David Pozar, Chap 6 Ex 6.5) : I want find the resonant frequency and approximate Q for TE10x mode. The parameter of the resonator : relative permittivity = 95, and loss tangent = 0.001, where the radius of the cylinder resonator = 0.413cm, and the length if the resonator = 0.8255 cm.
I try to use a spherical PML surrounding all the resonator, then simolate it. The result of resonant frequency = 3.34GHz, very close to the answer (3.4GHz), but the quality factor is 608, smaller than the answer (~1000). And the E field seems penetrates to deep PML layer.
I think that maybe something wrong when I create this model or there's another method to calculate the quality factor. So, could anyone kindly help me to solve this problem? (It's very important to me because it confused me about two weeks)
The following page is my comsol file: (too large to upload) please feel free to download it
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2i3aoYlzVuXZW1xSkdFaDM5Wkk/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you for you help!!
---
C.H.Hsieh

0 Replies Last Post 22 avr. 2014, 10:40 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Cheng-Hung Hsieh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.