Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cluster installation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there any special away for installing COMSOL on a cluster?

I tried testing COMSOL on our cluster using

> comsol mpd mpd &

and when I do, for example,

> comsol -nn 2 -np 3

I get this:

Exception in startup:
Exception:
com.femlab.util.FlException: Cluster not installed

Exception in startup:
Exception:
com.femlab.util.FlException: Cluster not installed

rank 0 in job 5 grace.cluster.cii.fc.ul.pt_60577 caused collective abort of all ranks
exit status of rank 0: return code 0

What could be wrong?

8 Replies Last Post 8 avr. 2010, 07:44 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 avr. 2010, 11:35 UTC−4
Hi, you need a special license file to enable the cluster components on the network. Please contact your COMSOL representative for more information.
Niklas Rom, COMSOL
Hi, you need a special license file to enable the cluster components on the network. Please contact your COMSOL representative for more information. Niklas Rom, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 01:58 UTC−4
What does it mean by the Cluster Installation? Can any one here explain it a bit?
What does it mean by the Cluster Installation? Can any one here explain it a bit?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 02:13 UTC−4
Hi

You have basically three modes in which some of the solvers might operate:

- 1 CPU in one same PC with one "Core" (as today you have up to 6 "cores" per CPU)
- n CPU's in one same PC with m cores and you use from 1 to m*n cores in parallel (option -np)
- cluster = many PC distributed over a network, with up to several CPU's with several cores per PC and the task is dipatched over all CPU's and Cores in parallel = computer "farms"

The two first are included in the standard licence, the last one (for super-computer type "farms") requires a special licence

This is how I have understood it, I use the two first, with a certain gain for the solving by using multiple cores, if I'm allowed to stay alone on the PC, since I'm using a heavy duty PC and need the graphics HW, other might launch batch jobs in parallel. Everything works well so long we do not compete for the same "cores"

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi You have basically three modes in which some of the solvers might operate: - 1 CPU in one same PC with one "Core" (as today you have up to 6 "cores" per CPU) - n CPU's in one same PC with m cores and you use from 1 to m*n cores in parallel (option -np) - cluster = many PC distributed over a network, with up to several CPU's with several cores per PC and the task is dipatched over all CPU's and Cores in parallel = computer "farms" The two first are included in the standard licence, the last one (for super-computer type "farms") requires a special licence This is how I have understood it, I use the two first, with a certain gain for the solving by using multiple cores, if I'm allowed to stay alone on the PC, since I'm using a heavy duty PC and need the graphics HW, other might launch batch jobs in parallel. Everything works well so long we do not compete for the same "cores" Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 05:27 UTC−4

Hi, you need a special license file to enable the cluster components on the network. Please contact your COMSOL representative for more information.
Niklas Rom, COMSOL

When we purchase it we informed the vendor that it was for a cluster and so we bought a floating network license (I think that's the name). So I guess everything should work properly from that point of view
[QUOTE] Hi, you need a special license file to enable the cluster components on the network. Please contact your COMSOL representative for more information. Niklas Rom, COMSOL [/QUOTE] When we purchase it we informed the vendor that it was for a cluster and so we bought a floating network license (I think that's the name). So I guess everything should work properly from that point of view

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 05:34 UTC−4

Hi

You have basically three modes in which some of the solvers might operate:

- 1 CPU in one same PC with one "Core" (as today you have up to 6 "cores" per CPU)
- n CPU's in one same PC with m cores and you use from 1 to m*n cores in parallel (option -np)
- cluster = many PC distributed over a network, with up to several CPU's with several cores per PC and the task is dipatched over all CPU's and Cores in parallel = computer "farms"

The two first are included in the standard licence, the last one (for super-computer type "farms") requires a special licence

This is how I have understood it, I use the two first, with a certain gain for the solving by using multiple cores, if I'm allowed to stay alone on the PC, since I'm using a heavy duty PC and need the graphics HW, other might launch batch jobs in parallel. Everything works well so long we do not compete for the same "cores"

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar

We have a grid cluster each node with 2 Quad CPUs. We did inform the vendor of the type of cluster and the suggested the floating network licence. So, in principal, it should work just fine. no?

anyway, my test was on the same node , which by itself has 2 Quad CPUs.

Apart from licence, does anything changes for installing COMSOL in a cluster?

Nuno
[QUOTE] Hi You have basically three modes in which some of the solvers might operate: - 1 CPU in one same PC with one "Core" (as today you have up to 6 "cores" per CPU) - n CPU's in one same PC with m cores and you use from 1 to m*n cores in parallel (option -np) - cluster = many PC distributed over a network, with up to several CPU's with several cores per PC and the task is dipatched over all CPU's and Cores in parallel = computer "farms" The two first are included in the standard licence, the last one (for super-computer type "farms") requires a special licence This is how I have understood it, I use the two first, with a certain gain for the solving by using multiple cores, if I'm allowed to stay alone on the PC, since I'm using a heavy duty PC and need the graphics HW, other might launch batch jobs in parallel. Everything works well so long we do not compete for the same "cores" Have fun Comsoling Ivar [/QUOTE] We have a grid cluster each node with 2 Quad CPUs. We did inform the vendor of the type of cluster and the suggested the floating network licence. So, in principal, it should work just fine. no? anyway, my test was on the same node , which by itself has 2 Quad CPUs. Apart from licence, does anything changes for installing COMSOL in a cluster? Nuno

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 05:36 UTC−4

It's related to computer clusters, so that you can perform calculations in parallel mode.
[QUOTE] What does it mean by the Cluster Installation? Can any one here explain it a bit? [/QUOTE] It's related to computer clusters, so that you can perform calculations in parallel mode.

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 06:12 UTC−4
I thing that on this subject talking with comsol support will help you much more than this forum
they were very helpful in making sure my configuration was working properly when I faced some install issue on my workstation [ not a cluster tough]
jf
I thing that on this subject talking with comsol support will help you much more than this forum they were very helpful in making sure my configuration was working properly when I faced some install issue on my workstation [ not a cluster tough] jf

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 07:44 UTC−4
Hi

Fully agree COMSOL has a good support (at least here and I do not see why differently elsewhere),

From my use: fixed PC bound licence work OK for 1 or multiple cores on one PC (with 1 or several CPU's) select the number of cores with the comsol launch parameter -np 2 or -np 8 ...

From my understanding a Floating licecense has the same behaviour as a fixed but with the possibility to run on any PC accessing the licence server (not PC bound).

Then finally a CLUSTER licence is special case for distributed PCs.

I would just send in a mail to support, with the info provided for the purchase.

In the mean time enjoy multi-core solving
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Fully agree COMSOL has a good support (at least here and I do not see why differently elsewhere), From my use: fixed PC bound licence work OK for 1 or multiple cores on one PC (with 1 or several CPU's) select the number of cores with the comsol launch parameter -np 2 or -np 8 ... From my understanding a Floating licecense has the same behaviour as a fixed but with the possibility to run on any PC accessing the licence server (not PC bound). Then finally a CLUSTER licence is special case for distributed PCs. I would just send in a mail to support, with the info provided for the purchase. In the mean time enjoy multi-core solving Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.