Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Radiative de-excitation in a plasma

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am using the plasma module and wanted to include radiative de-excitation reactions. For example, I want to include the transition from N2C to N2B with a wavelength of 337.1 nm. I know that COMSOL has Plank's constant. If I give it a wavelength I get a Token error, Position: 11, Reaction: 0. Has anyone done this before? Is there a way to include radiative de-excitation?

Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post 2 avr. 2014, 11:38 UTC−4
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 avr. 2014, 14:55 UTC−4
Arber,

Radiative decay reactions can be implemented just like any other reaction (e.g. N2C=>N2B), but don't include the photon in the reaction equation. To account for radiation trapping, you will need to either include some type of factor in the rate expression or solve for the radiation transport.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Arber, Radiative decay reactions can be implemented just like any other reaction (e.g. N2C=>N2B), but don't include the photon in the reaction equation. To account for radiation trapping, you will need to either include some type of factor in the rate expression or solve for the radiation transport. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 avr. 2014, 11:38 UTC−4
Thanks Luke. Comsol support just replied with the same answer. They said there is an example model
Model Library>Plasma Module>Inductively Coupled Plasmas>electrodeless_lamp
I guess I was overthinking it. Thanks again.
Thanks Luke. Comsol support just replied with the same answer. They said there is an example model Model Library>Plasma Module>Inductively Coupled Plasmas>electrodeless_lamp I guess I was overthinking it. Thanks again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.