Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat exchanger

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have a question regarding modeling an air-air heat exchanger I hope you can help me with. I have a serpentine flow pipes and a box for the air forced convection. I started with a very simple physics, non-isothermal flow. It converges but looking at the velocity profile, it looks like the pipes are invisible for the air flow. what I expect is a significant increase for the air velocity as the area decreases between the pipes.
also I can not choose the pipes boundary to add convective heat flux. I attached my model here. I appreciate if you could give me some tips.

Best Regards,
Elham

2 Replies Last Post 13 mars 2014, 06:36 UTC−4
Zoran Vidakovic, COMSOL COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 mars 2014, 11:29 UTC−4
Dear Elham Hosseinzadeh,

To separate the fluid domains of the two streams (pipe and surrounding) you need to define interior walls (infinitely thin) at the pipe boundaries. Per default internal boundaries are defined as "continuity" (with "Form Union"). Currently, the "Wall" is only applied to (external) boundaries that are not overridden by inlets and outlets. Correct your pipe wall selection such that cross section boundaries between pipe segments are not included. Extrude the fan inlet/outlet geometry (e.g. 5mm) and use a boundary layer mesh to resolve the strong velocity gradients in the near wall regions (e.g. via Physics-controlled mesh).

A similar example can be found here: www.comsol.com/model/shell-and-tube-heat-exchanger-12685

If you need further help from us feel free to contact our support: www.comsol.com/support

Good luck and best regards,
Zoran

PS: Have a look also here:
www.comsol.com/video/shell-tube-heat-exchanger-model-tutorial
www.comsol.com/video/creating-2d-models-cross-sections-3d-geometries

Dear Elham Hosseinzadeh, To separate the fluid domains of the two streams (pipe and surrounding) you need to define interior walls (infinitely thin) at the pipe boundaries. Per default internal boundaries are defined as "continuity" (with "Form Union"). Currently, the "Wall" is only applied to (external) boundaries that are not overridden by inlets and outlets. Correct your pipe wall selection such that cross section boundaries between pipe segments are not included. Extrude the fan inlet/outlet geometry (e.g. 5mm) and use a boundary layer mesh to resolve the strong velocity gradients in the near wall regions (e.g. via Physics-controlled mesh). A similar example can be found here: http://www.comsol.com/model/shell-and-tube-heat-exchanger-12685 If you need further help from us feel free to contact our support: http://www.comsol.com/support Good luck and best regards, Zoran PS: Have a look also here: http://www.comsol.com/video/shell-tube-heat-exchanger-model-tutorial http://www.comsol.com/video/creating-2d-models-cross-sections-3d-geometries

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 mars 2014, 06:36 UTC−4
Dear Zoran

Thank you for your reply. I made the changes you suggested. Unfortunately I have some issues with adding the interior wall boundary condition. It diverges immediately, seems like it needs more inputs now. I even tried it with a very fine mesh, but it didn't help. Please take a look at my model. I appreciate your help.

Bests,
Elham
Dear Zoran Thank you for your reply. I made the changes you suggested. Unfortunately I have some issues with adding the interior wall boundary condition. It diverges immediately, seems like it needs more inputs now. I even tried it with a very fine mesh, but it didn't help. Please take a look at my model. I appreciate your help. Bests, Elham

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.