Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

rigid solid 2D axisymmetric

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have created a 2D axisymmetric and I want to make one of the elements a rigid solid. However I cannot find the option in the right-click menu of the physics node. It usually is in domains in a 3D model but here there is not that option.

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post 13 mars 2014, 10:33 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mars 2014, 02:16 UTC−5
Hi,

This design is intentional.

A rigid body in an axisymmetric problem has only one degree of freedom: translation along the Z-axis. So when weighing the usefulness against the possible confusion it could cause, we decided to not to add Rigid Domain and Rigid Connector in axisymmetry.

If you (or someone else) disagree, please comment in this thread, and we can reconsider.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, This design is intentional. A rigid body in an axisymmetric problem has only one degree of freedom: translation along the Z-axis. So when weighing the usefulness against the possible confusion it could cause, we decided to not to add Rigid Domain and Rigid Connector in axisymmetry. If you (or someone else) disagree, please comment in this thread, and we can reconsider. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 mars 2014, 10:33 UTC−4
Thanks for the quick response.

I have solved it and I want to post it just in case someone else is facing the same problem.

I define a point in the geometry, a point which is going to move with the rigid solid (in the symmetry axis).
In definitions, I define an integration in that point.
I add a prescribed displacement in the solid rigid, restricting the movement in the r direction and forcing the z displacement to be the point´s displacement obtained as intopxx(w).

Hope it is right and useful.
Thanks for the quick response. I have solved it and I want to post it just in case someone else is facing the same problem. I define a point in the geometry, a point which is going to move with the rigid solid (in the symmetry axis). In definitions, I define an integration in that point. I add a prescribed displacement in the solid rigid, restricting the movement in the r direction and forcing the z displacement to be the point´s displacement obtained as intopxx(w). Hope it is right and useful.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.