Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleagues,

I'm modelling a thin walled element (solid geometry) and I want to mesh it with an hexahedral mesh with only one element along the thickness. I attached an image of the geometry.
The main problem is the complex geometry with circular holes and curves. I try to mesh a surface with quadrilateral element, but I can't do it on surfaces with holes.
Is it possible to mesh it with quadrilateral elements? If it is possible I can extrude them and obtain what I want.
If it is a problem I'll work with a triangular mesh.

I hope I was clear enough

Thanks for any suggestions
Best regards

Simone

1 Reply Last Post 13 déc. 2013, 09:22 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 déc. 2013, 09:22 UTC−5
I would expect that with the right settings it would be feasible to mesh the side (inner or outer) surface and sweep it (As opposed to meshing either of the two cross-section boundaries and sweeping that along).
But it's hard to say anything more specific without access to your .mph file. If you could post it, Discussion Forum readers may be able to help further.
Best,
Jeff
I would expect that with the right settings it would be feasible to mesh the side (inner or outer) surface and sweep it (As opposed to meshing either of the two cross-section boundaries and sweeping that along). But it's hard to say anything more specific without access to your .mph file. If you could post it, Discussion Forum readers may be able to help further. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.