Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A SMALL DOUBT ON PORT POWER VALUE !

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am new to this software and I am trying to simulate a multi-layer structure on which plane electromagnetic wave is allowed to fall at normal incidence. I kept the port power at the default value(1 W) and after running the program I tried to check the power at the port 1. For that I use line integration to calculate sqrt(emw.Poavy^2 +emw.Poavx^2), but to my surprise the values I am getting is smaller than 1.

Can any one help me.
Thanks in advance...

5 Replies Last Post 29 nov. 2013, 01:32 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 nov. 2013, 13:31 UTC−5
Believe it or not, this is a feature, not a bug! When you specify the power going into the port, you are NOT actually forcing the boundary condition there into a state where it will actually have that net-overall power going into the port. Rather, you are only setting the forward-going power at that port. In general, there will also be a reverse-going power there, due to reflections or impedance mismatches somewhere in your system. This fact allows the proper computation of parameters such as S_11 (where the port is port #1), for example. When you do your integral of the power density over the port, both forward-directed and reverse-directed power flow is included, which is why you got less than 1W. (Note also that to get accurate numbers, you should generally mesh your ports relatively finely.)
Believe it or not, this is a feature, not a bug! When you specify the power going into the port, you are NOT actually forcing the boundary condition there into a state where it will actually have that net-overall power going into the port. Rather, you are only setting the forward-going power at that port. In general, there will also be a reverse-going power there, due to reflections or impedance mismatches somewhere in your system. This fact allows the proper computation of parameters such as S_11 (where the port is port #1), for example. When you do your integral of the power density over the port, both forward-directed and reverse-directed power flow is included, which is why you got less than 1W. (Note also that to get accurate numbers, you should generally mesh your ports relatively finely.)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 nov. 2013, 01:43 UTC−5
Sir,

Thank For your reply..
I think I understand your explanation and In this case how will one able to find only the forward-going power at that port after running the program.

Regards
Binoy Chacko
Sir, Thank For your reply.. I think I understand your explanation and In this case how will one able to find only the forward-going power at that port after running the program. Regards Binoy Chacko

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2013, 20:21 UTC−5
The "forward-going" power is 1W, since that is what you specified. P_total_input = P_forward - P_reverse. You can also do integrals over various surfaces (and/or volumes, if heating/loss is involved) to confirm energy conservation, and/or just to get a feel for the magnitude of numerical errors in the model. And you can plot quantities like S11, that relate to the power reflected. Look up "s-parameters" in the help system.
The "forward-going" power is 1W, since that is what you specified. P_total_input = P_forward - P_reverse. You can also do integrals over various surfaces (and/or volumes, if heating/loss is involved) to confirm energy conservation, and/or just to get a feel for the magnitude of numerical errors in the model. And you can plot quantities like S11, that relate to the power reflected. Look up "s-parameters" in the help system.

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 nov. 2013, 21:20 UTC−5

Sir,

Thank For your reply..
I think I understand your explanation and In this case how will one able to find only the forward-going power at that port after running the program.

Regards
Binoy Chacko

Dear Binoy,
A "PML" layer at the end of structure will help you to avoid any reverse wave!
Good luck! :)
[QUOTE] Sir, Thank For your reply.. I think I understand your explanation and In this case how will one able to find only the forward-going power at that port after running the program. Regards Binoy Chacko [/QUOTE] Dear Binoy, A "PML" layer at the end of structure will help you to avoid any reverse wave! Good luck! :)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 nov. 2013, 01:32 UTC−5
hi,

Thank you for your reply.
We are trying to do as you said..

Regards
Binoy Chacko
hi, Thank you for your reply. We are trying to do as you said.. Regards Binoy Chacko

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.