Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Perfect conductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate a microstrip resonator. I see that when I use a Perfect Electric Conductor as the stripline surfaces, the wave propagates along the surface of the metal, but if I replace it with a metal, say, copper, the wave does not travel along the strip.

I am using the RF modules, Electromagnetic wave, frequency domain.

2 Replies Last Post 10 nov. 2013, 02:34 UTC−5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 nov. 2013, 04:29 UTC−5

You haven't selected any boundaries in the impedance boundary condition.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You haven't selected any boundaries in the impedance boundary condition. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 nov. 2013, 02:34 UTC−5
Thanks for the swift reply.

If I add an impedance boundary condition here, I am not able to select any boundary. It either says 'overridden', or 'not applicable'.

I think this is because the boundaries for impedance boundary condition should be the outermost boundaries, which, in this case, are the PMLs.

If I remove them, I still can't set an impedance boundary condition in the microstrip line, as it is the bottom surface of the copper layer.

Any way I could get around the problem?

Again, my goal here is to find the resonant frequencies and the Q factor for the resonator.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the swift reply. If I add an impedance boundary condition here, I am not able to select any boundary. It either says 'overridden', or 'not applicable'. I think this is because the boundaries for impedance boundary condition should be the outermost boundaries, which, in this case, are the PMLs. If I remove them, I still can't set an impedance boundary condition in the microstrip line, as it is the bottom surface of the copper layer. Any way I could get around the problem? Again, my goal here is to find the resonant frequencies and the Q factor for the resonator. Thanks in advance.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.