Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling current density and potential in electrolytic cell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I am trying to simulate the current density and potential distribution in the electrolyte in an electrolytical cell, that consists of:
-One electrode, of Titanium (anode), here happens the oxidation of Ti to Ti4+
-Other electrode, of Nickel (cathode), here happens reduction of H+ to H2.
-The electrolyte: it has a part of water, some NH4F dissolved, and the rest is Etylene glycol. I just described it by meassuring its electrical conductivity in the laboratory.

In the real life an oxide TiO2 layer grows over the surface of Ti, but in this modeling my only interest is to create the conditions at the begining of the process. The cell voltage, connected to the titanium wire, is of 20[V]. Ground is located at the Nickel cathode wire. I have two main problems:
-I'm not sure if I'm using the correct ecuations for this model. In my opinion, Butler-Volmer is the right one, but I don't know what values of exchange current density should I use.
-Although I am able to plot the 3D current and potential distribution, I'm not confortable with the result of potential. I thought that the potential would fall almost totally at the electrolyte but It doesn't look at all like that, it appears that electrolyte has an almost homogeneous potential of around 10[V], instead of having big decreases from 20 to 0.
-Last but not least I'm afraid current density is also wrong, because it is totally homogeneous in the titanium and Nickel foils.

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me with this, because I'm really in a hurry. If it further helps you to find a solution, I will attach my model in another message. Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post 28 oct. 2013, 05:05 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Miguel Lopez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.