Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Circular vs. square cross-section coils

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to calculate inductance and resistance of a multiturn coil at 1 kHz using AC/DC/Magnetic Fields module.

I found a huge difference in L and R values between the following two cases that I obtained from Comsol 4.3a when a coil is a multiturn winding in the form of a
a) cylinder with circular cross-section (about 30 Ohms and 10 mH) and
b) cylinder with square cross-section (about 2 MOhms and <1 mH)

For case (a) it is easy to specify coil type as circular and provide a currentof 1 A in Multiturn coil domain. However, for case (b) where cross-section is a square, which coil type to choose (circular, linear, etc)? I tried even with a combination of cylindrical coordinate system and circular type, but no luck.

Case (a) agrees to a larger extent with measurements - however I would like togo for a rectangular cross-section due to design constraints.

I appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,
Arun

0 Replies Last Post 29 sept. 2013, 01:52 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Arun

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.