Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time Dependent Study- Flow Past a Cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am relatively new with COMSOL, and am trying to start off with the basics before I dive into my research using the program...

I want to find the Strouhal number from a cylinder in a laminar flow at an Re=1000, where I should expect St=.21 or so. When I run the simulation I get about .24, which is a ~14% error. I find that only when I put the mesh on the finest setting (extremely fine) my simulation gets a little closer to the empirical result, but not much (and also takes a long time to run). I have a very small time step since I am expecting relatively high frequencies.

My question is, am I missing something? Should I be using my own mesh? Is there a tutorial out there for Comsol 4.3 that can walk me through the steps to the correct solution? I am rather confused because such a simple model is not running correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Replies Last Post 20 sept. 2013, 12:35 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ben Paxson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.