Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trouble with meshing/geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask for some help with my model.
Basically, I have a parametric curve which is then revolved to form a spherical shell. The parameters of the curve will later be changed via parametric sweep to obtain different shapes.

The problem here is that when the curve is revolved the obtained shell is not smooth, it has deformations, "hills and valleys" and depending on different settings even some heavily jagged edges. (The most extreme one on the picture)

I tried playing around with a lot of settings; relative tolerance and number of knots for the parametric curve, polygon resolution of edges for the revolve, etc. It helps, but I didn't manage to get a smooth shell in the end.
When I tried meshing (Free Triangular) I got all sorts of errors, like 'failed to generate mesh for face', 'a degenerated triangle was generated'.

I also tried converting the shell to a solid and then mesh it with Free Tetrahedral and I encountered the same issues.

Am I missing something basic here? Anyone encountered anything similar?

Thank you for any suggestions!

1 Reply Last Post 16 déc. 2016, 09:02 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tomo Murovec

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 16 déc. 2016, 09:02 UTC−5
Hi, I have the same problem. Did you figure it out?
Hi, I have the same problem. Did you figure it out?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.