Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unexpected behaviour while creating geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I encountered the following problem while using Boolean Operations on Ellipsoids and Blocks:

The attached image shows a cut plane inside the final 3D geometry, which looks like it should. The model is orientated at x=0 (center of blocks and ellipsoids). When I copied the sequence to x=50 it has been impossible for me to reach the same resulting geometry.

The upper part consists of an ellipsoid (cutted in the middle as you can see, but that's not the point here) and a thin block cutting it (using first a union of the ellipsoid and the block and afterwards an intersection of the resulting assembly and the original ellipsoid). I did this in order to make it possible to select only the lower part of the ellipsoid due to the contact area.

Even when I created a new file and tried to build all elements at x=50 this was not possible. It broke down when I tried to make the intersection of the ellipsoid and the ellipsoid+block union. The operation did not result in an ellipsoid with splitted surfaces as it did at x=0. The intersection did not change the ellipsoid+block union at all! Even more confusing, trying to model the same geometry translated to x=-50 COMSOL presented the error message "Error in geometry decomposition" when trying to build the final intersection.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Marcel

Edit: Problem solved by workaround respectively acually more adequate way by using split aber forming the Union.

0 Replies Last Post 2 sept. 2013, 11:01 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marcel Strack

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.